It’s the 5th of January and I’ve made it through my first “week” back at work. Hands up anyone else who thinks two day work weeks should be a thing? Sigh. Anyway now that the Christmas decorations are all packed away (or at least they will be by the end of the day!) it’s time to think of the year ahead. I decided to make some 2020 goals after technically taking a year off last year.
In 2019 I did #19for2019 which was a list of 19 things I wanted to do (big or small) during the year. Though I had fun with it I don’t think I did any better or worse than I usually do when I make a shorter list of goals.
It also felt like because I had to have 19 in total that I was pulling at straws trying to find things to add to my list. I don’t think you have much of a chance of completing something if you’re not totally passionate about it.
So for 2020 I’m back to good old fashioned goals. If you’re a long time reader of this blog then a few of them will be quite familiar…
Feel better in my mind and body
Starting off with something super familiar, I have to talk about my weight. This is always on my list and for good reason. I yo-yo’d so much last year that when I arrived at my Slimming World group yesterday it turns out that I have officially lost nothing in the last year. I’m exactly where I was this time at the beginning of 2019. And that sucks.
It wouldn’t be so bad if I wasn’t at the higher end of my weight loss journey. But I really don’t feel healthy right now. So that needs to change. On the bright side I discovered at group that I’ve unknowingly been having 13 syns every morning for the last 6 months by choosing the wrong type of bread. For those who aren’t familiar with SW – we’re only allowed 15 in a day! So that’s the first thing that’s changing. I had to laugh.
I say it every year but this year is going to be the year. For one of my 2020 goals I’m going to make it to target.
In terms of my mind I want to take care of it more this year. As well as yo-yo-ing with my weight, I’ve been experiencing the same with my moods. I want to track them in 2020 and see if there’s anything I can do to help. I also want to introduce more tools that will help me when I’m in a down period.
Mind & Body objectives
- Go to Slimming World every week, stay to group and actually track my syns.
- Make a tracker for my moods to put in my planner & analyse any patterns I see.
- Make a happy list of things that make me smile so I can read it when I’m down
- Research other tools I can use to get me out of a funk
Get Financially Savvy
In 2019 I got a savings account and actually started saving again since we bought our house in 2017. And I’m proud to say that I finished the year with something still in that account. Not much but I’ll make do with baby steps.
With 2020 being the beginning of a new decade, it got me looking ahead. Where do I want to be in 2029 (how scary is that btw??)? As much as I like our house, we’ve always known it wasn’t our forever home. Especially considering the area it’s in isn’t the best. So ideally I’d like to move somewhere else by 2025.
Enter the finances. Over the next 5 years I want to do some serious saving so we can live somewhere nicer. So in 2020 I want to save and also look at what we’re spending on our current lifestyle. We’re good at budgeting but not so good at reviewing how it was implemented.
I’ve never been able to successfully track my spendings before. Mostly but not all the little bits and pieces that can really add up. I think because neither Topher or I have those cliche daily Starbucks habits and we don’t go out drinking every weekend. So it’s not as obvious where our money is going. I want to find out.
- Talk to the bank about what our budget would be for a house so we know what our savings goal is.
- Budget and actually track how well we stuck to our budget.
- Set up savings goals to reflect our final house goal
Get back to my creative roots
I want to have fun in 2020. And I want to find my creative roots. I’ve been crafty since I was a child and I seem to have lost myself in the last couple of years. I used to take so many photos so it’s kind of sad to see how little I take now. I used to love drawing but I would compare myself to others and I stopped. I used to share my creative endeavours on this blog too – it was a big part of my content. So I want to really spend this year doing that.
- Make things with my hands
- Blog, draw and take photos. Wipe the dust off of my DSLR. Continue videoing things.
- Share the results – no matter how good or bad they are.
The election result in December was pretty depressing and it made me realise that nothing is going to change for the next few years. Especially for people in poverty in this country who are suffering. It opened my eyes to the fact that if our leaders won’t do anything to help, regular folks have to step up.
I recognise my privilege now that I have a decent job and a roof over my head that isn’t going anywhere. So I want to do more to give back to my community. Every little helps.
Giving Back Objectives
- Pick a few causes to focus on
- Find somewhere local to volunteer on a regular basis
- Set up a direct debit to donate to my chosen causes
- Do a shop to donate to a food bank once a month
Get my home in order
This is another one that is usually on my list but not because I haven’t achieved it in the past but because it’s an ongoing process that will never be finished. That’s the thing when you have your own space – it’s always going to be changing with the times. I only have two objectives for this goal but one of them is a big one.
- I have a ginormous to do list of things I need to do in our home. It ranges from the small like organising the drawers in the kitchen right up to bigger things like painting our en-suite. It’s not all for this year but I would love to cross off as many things on this list as I can.
- Decorate the master bedroom – this was something I wanted to do in 2019 but never got round to. So it has to be one of my 2020 goals. It’s happening this year for sure.