When I was sixteen, I wasn’t the happiest. I didn’t like myself, I was lonely and I kept to myself. College wasn’t what I expected after having a bad time at school and I just found myself wishing for the next thing to come along. Since then I’ve been through a fair bit and I feel like I’ve come out the other side as a happier person. But from time to time I wonder what if. So here’s just a few things I would tell my sixteen year old self if I had the chance…
- Stop wishing your life away. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
- You don’t need a boyfriend to be happy, stop worrying about it. Though if it makes you feel any better you’ll meet the one in just 4 short years. So chill the hell out.
- Please keep writing your diary. I like to look back at it because it makes me giggle.
- Stop worrying what other people think of you. People are too busy figuring out their own crap to care. And on that note, you may think that these people’s opinions are important but they really aren’t. You haven’t seen any of them in a decade.
- You are not fat. Believe me. This coming from you 12 years later that has been desperately trying to get back to the weight you are right now. Chill the hell out.
- Don’t worry when no one shows up to your 17th birthday drinks – it’ll turn out to be a great night.
- Get a Saturday job like you wanted. Don’t listen to your parents on this one thing. To be fair, they had no idea there was a recession that would hit as you graduate university!
- I would say study hard, but you managed just fine and got into university anyway so just enjoy yourself.
- 20 somethings are not grown up. Being an adult is mainly googling things. Enjoy living at your parents while you still can.
- You think being a teenager is hard then – be thankful you weren’t born 10 years later and had to deal with growing up on social media. Yikes! And of course this being 2004, you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about.
- Go to Thailand dammit. Yes I know how important it will feel that you spend your 19th birthday with your boyfriend but seriously it’s not that important. And that night was pretty crap in comparison. Just say yes and go. Otherwise you’ll look at the pictures your parents took and want to kick yourself.
That’s all I can think of at the moment but there are definitely plenty more things!
What would you tell your sixteen year old self?